ISO 17025 General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories Consultancy Service.
ISO 17025:2017 specifies the general requirements for the competence to carry out tests and/or calibrations, including sampling. It covers testing and calibration performed using standard methods, non-standard methods, and laboratory-developed methods.
ISO 17025:2017 is applicable to all laboratories regardless of the number of personnel or the extent of the scope of testing and/or calibration activities. When a laboratory does not undertake one or more of the activities covered by ISO 17025:2005, such as sampling and the design/development of new methods, the requirements of those clauses do not apply.
ISO 17025:2017 is for use by laboratories in developing their management system for quality, administrative and technical operations. Laboratory customers, regulatory authorities and accreditation bodies may also use it in confirming or recognizing the competence of laboratories. ISO 17025:2017 is not intended to be used as the basis for certification of laboratories.
Benefits of ISO 17025 Application:
- Provides additional information about the quality of each measurement made during the calibration process.
- Enables assessment of relative quality and capability of different calibration laboratories .
- Enables easy comparison of measurement expertise from different calibration suppliers.
- Enables easy comparison of suppliers in different countries.
- Eliminates the need for supplier auditing - calibration suppliers independently verified through the accreditation process.